Additional HUD assistance in New York keeps youth in foster care housed


WASHINGTON, DC (NEWS10) – The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) on Thursday awarded more than $ 1 million to public housing agencies (PHAs) across the country to provide housing assistance to young people who are no longer in foster care and who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. HUD says twenty-six PLHIV in 20 states will receive this funding to continue HUD’s efforts to help young people exit foster care.

The HUD regional administrator for New York and New Jersey said that while the young people were no longer in foster care, this funding allows New York authorities to provide stable homes at a critical time. These challenges young adults living in poverty will have access to a Foster Youth to Independence (FYI) voucher that makes a huge difference by offering up to 36 months of rent assistance. In addition to preventing homelessness among young adults, other support services help to help beneficiaries on their journey to self-sufficiency.

According to HUD, in September, through the Competitive Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA), HUD awarded more than $ 14 million to 18 PLHIV to prevent homelessness among young adults who have aged or are on the verge of aging, of the foster care system.

New York received $ 35,901. The following locations have received HUD funding for FYI vouchers.

State Recipient City Quantity
New York Town of Brookhaven, Dept. Of Housing & Human Farmingville $ 17,718
New York City of Buffalo Buffalo $ 6,422
New York NYS Housing Trust Fund Corporation New York $ 11,761
TOTAL: $ 35,901

HUD’s, FYI Initiative provides housing assistance and support services to youth with a child protection history who are at risk or experiencing homelessness. To be eligible for FYI funding, public housing organizations must:

  • Administer a Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program
  • Conclusion of a partnership agreement with a public child protection agency (PCWA)
  • Accept young people referred by their PCWA partner
  • Determine that the referred youth is eligible for HCV assistance

More information about HUD and its programs is available on the web. HUD also offers access to services in Espanol.

Source link


Comments are closed.