The content below has been provided by PSEG Long Island and has no editorial input from News 12 Long Island.
It’s a New Year, and in recognition of National Cut Your Energy Costs Day – January 10 – we’re sharing tips for customers to save money and reduce their energy use every day from the year.
National Cut Your Energy Costs Day was launched to encourage consumers to explore the possibilities for saving energy. In the past eight years since PSEG Long Island’s inception, this is exactly what commercial and residential customers on Long Island and the Rockaways have done. Over $ 380 million in rebates have been distributed to customers as part of PSEG Long Island’s energy efficiency programs. This represents a saving of over 2.1 billion kilowatts of energy since 2014 and enough electricity to power more than 270,000 homes for an entire year.
These tips can help customers save money and energy any time of the year:
– Replace inefficient incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs since, according to the US Department of Energy, lighting accounts for about 15% of the electricity used in the home, and LEDs use about 75% less energy and last up to 25 times longer.
– Reduce “phantom power” by using energy-efficient power strips or unplugging electronic devices when not in use. Objects plugged into outlets consume electricity even when they are turned off.
– Use a programmable thermostat to automatically manage your home’s heating and cooling needs. ENERGY STAR estimates that properly used programmable thermostats can save about $ 180 per year. In addition, PSEG Long Island offers discounts on smart thermostats.
– Lower your thermostat one degree to potentially reduce your heating bill by up to 3%. Lowering it two degrees during the day and five to 10 degrees at night will save even more.
– Install timers and motion detectors to automatically manage interior and exterior lighting and ensure that lights are not on when not needed.
– Ceiling fans can be used to save energy in winter. Setting a fan to turn clockwise at low speed draws cool air up to the ceiling, pushing warm air down into a room.
– Seal windows and door frames with weatherstripping or caulking, and remove or cover window air conditioners to help prevent drafts that waste energy and money.
– Install a high efficiency aerothermal heat pump (ASHP) to reduce energy consumption, save money and provide greater comfort during cold and hot months. Robust discounts are available PSEG Long Island Home Comfort Program for ducted ASHP units, ducted ground source heat pumps and ductless mini split systems. In addition, PSEG Long Island’s Home Comfort PLUS program offers enhanced discounts to customers who meet certain income requirements.
Annual independent assessments by Demand Side Analytics (DSA) have found that PSEG Long Island’s energy efficiency and renewable energy programs are cost effective and energy efficient. The DSA’s 2020 assessment showed that Long Island’s PSEG energy efficiency program, including rebates, generated $ 1.74 in profit for the company for every $ 1 of program operating costs.